[Discuss] David Gans stuff...

Debbie Speer discuss@kfcf.org
Wed Jan 23 22:00:01 2002

It's not last minute YET...I think we're in very good shape. Actually,
so far the biggest problems have come from David. (sigh) But nothing
that isn't easy to take care of.

Sandwich making party - let's get the okay from Tom Willey for bread,
I'll purchase the fillings from Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's (unless
someone else can volunteer for that) if that donation hasn't come
through yet, and let's plan on food prep Sunday around 11 a.m.  Any
upfront cost will be reimbursed with receipts, as per usual. I do NOT
have room here to do this; I need a volunteer with a kitchen with
adequate cutting space. (Hello, Becky?) I also need to know who will
pick up bread, stuffing, etc. and who I should expect to work on it. I'd
like to know by Saturday sometime.

Work shifts - This is yet to be finalized. Jeff is off the door as I've
been informed that only Club  Fred personnel can do that. Tony Martin
has already promised to that; I work with him and he is also a Club Fred
employee and is volunteering his time but is open to being tipped. :)
Jeff, if you can handle a cash box for either the food or merchandise
table that would be cool. Let me know if you have a preference.
Otherwise, I need solid work shifts from everyone. I'll send a message
to the "board" list about this as well, obviously including a list of
what's needed where and when. As far as I'm concerned, if you work you
get comped in. If you don't work, you pay - board member or not.

What we need:
2 cash boxes (Fred provides the door, we need boxes each for food
tickets and the merch table).
Ticket rolls - one for food at $2.50 each; maybe raffle tickets if David
provides DVDs or other high-value items.
People to handle these in two shifts unless they want to work the whole
show. 3-6 and 6-whenever.

Comp list - Everyone who performs or works gets comped, plus a guest. No
work, no comp. I need to know who is working and who their guest will be
by Saturday evening at the latest. A list will be at the door. Anyone
not on it, unless a guest of someone who is,  is expected to pay full
door price.

"Sliding scale" - I haven't advertised this, and since a Club Fred
person will be at the door at all times, this could get sticky (it was
last time). Tony will ask for whatever one can give, and let them in
free if they argue it, but "sliding scale" will not apply to food or
merchandise under any circumstance. No tickee, no food.

Merchandise - Undecided as of now, but will be by Friday night. Today
David told me he will bring in as many "Grateful Dead Hour" T-shirts as
his bookkeeeper will allow. He also promises to bring "'Dick's Picks'
CDs and 'some DVDs.'"  I don't what DVDs he's talking about but will try
to find out tomorrow. If they are what I think they are, we might
consider a raffle for them. David will also be bringing his own CDs for
his own private sale, but promises a cut from them to KFCF. I agreed to
that. Hell, why not? He's giving us a free show.

Advertising: Brad Rogers and I have been in touch with Don Mayhew at the
Bee. The show should not only be listed, but a "pick of the week."  I'm
calling Don again tomorrow just to put the fear of Goddess into him.
;)   Personnel at Fred's tell me they are getting a lot of people asking
about the show, which is a very good sign we could have a full house.
I'm asking Vic to take a stack of 20 or so tickets to Fred's for sale
on-site over the weekend. David continues to plug the gig on his show,
and did an interview with Rick Flores on Tuesday.  If anyone should ask,
this is a show that should appeal to music lovers, not just Deadheads.
David does his own original music, and does a damn fine job of it. It's
not a Grateful Dead show. :)

Sound:  Paige Lehman, who is the usual sound gal at Fred's and
coincidentally Rych's roomate, will handle the sound board. She's a
working person, so I expect her to be paid. I talked with her tonight,
and she will work her usual fee down depending on how easy we make it
for her. It sounds like it will be easy. $50 max.

David's housing:  I've offered the Dungeon O' Doom here at Normandy
Village. David is heading to LA the next morning, and (my) Jeff and I
are allegedly supposed to be at work that day, though I will probaby
take half a vacation day for the occasion. To be honest, I am a little
uncomfortable about this. If anyone is up to a short after-party here, I
would feel better about it. I never was a Deadhead, or even a fan...so I
could get caught up short here as a host. Anyone who can come by to
shoot the bull for awhile and help me wear him out without long
uncomfortable silences will have my everlasting devotion. I will
consider an aversion to marihuana a valid excuse to skip it...  :)  I'm
probably being overly nervous about playing host.

I think this covers everything to date. Last-second stuff happens, so
I'll let you know soonest if there is anything else. Other than that, be
prepared for anything Sunday. :)

Thanks, everyone,
Deb