[FFCF-PNA] Grid Ecology Worksheet.doc

Vic Bedoian vbedoian at kfcf.org
Wed Mar 22 10:10:34 PST 2006

Hi Folks, I was sent this by KPFA program committee. It's an interesting
exercise to help figure out who we reach and who we want to reach. Food for
thought.
  _____

Grid Ecology Worksheet

Listenership analysis:

Two categories: subscribers and listeners

Exercise: Describe in 25 words or less your perception of who the current
subscriber base is?

Exercise: Describe in 25 words or less your perception of who the current
listening, but not subscribing base is?

Issue: Financial stability: ways to use programming to grow the subscriber
base to ensure the financial future of the station - current fundraising
model prioritizes premium-based donations at the $50-100 level.

Exercise: Who donates at this level to public radio and what programming
engages them?

Exercise: Are there other fundraising models for different kinds of
subscribers?

Issue: Mission and social justice goals. Growing the activist audience.

Exercise: Is audience growth and mission delivery focused on servicing the
self-defined activist-progressive community?

Exercise: Is audience growth and mission delivery focused on bringing
activist, progressive programming to an audience that does not self-define
in those terms?

Quality

Exercise: Are our programming evaluations' defining what is and isn't
quality programming?  (Criteria etc.)

Areas of lack

Defined at April 2005 retreat:

Comedy/Humor

Children's programming

Arts - independent film, theater, spoken word/improv/monologue/dance &
movement, visual arts, storytelling

Talk radio/issue debate/opposing views

Women's programming (partially addressed w/women's program)

"Voice of the voiceless" - empowerment of the underrepresented in media
(challenging white supremacy, low-income issues, marginalization, cultural
hegonomy).

Others?

Program flow

Issues: Time of day things are on. Continuity and coherence - awkward
transitions between programs. Retaining listeners over multi-hour blocks.

Exercise:  How do other stations with a mix of music and PA negotiate the
transitions? What can KPFA take from them? What doesn't work for us?

Exercise: Divide grid into sections. Within sections, identify functional
segues and transitions and identify non-functional ones. Identify
well-placed programs and identify poorly-placed programs.

Issues: After identification, modus operandi for recommended
shifts/improvements.

Timetable to avoid listener confusion. Promotional tactics. Timetable for
humanizing internal operations to maintain respect for all existing
programmers while avoiding stalemate.

Issues: Promoting and retaining talent internally vis a vis apprenticeship
program and growth for existing employees and volunteers.

Exercise: How do we allow for existing talent to expand and move through
station programming to maximize their opportunities to create good radio?

Issues: Externally - modes of approach and integration for talent not
currently involved with the station. Training. Pairing of technical radio
skills with content providers. How did we integrate previous external
programming sources (VOME, for example). What can we learn from what worked
before?

Exercise: How do we make the station more approachable for people not in the
apprenticeship pipeline in a way that maximizes their opportunities to
create good radio?