[FFCF-PNA] [Board-FFCF] Various Complaints

Debbie Speer SatrnGrl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 8 21:35:52 PDT 2005

Stan,
My objections are not with the committee. They are with the BOARD's
failure to observe due process.  I made my objections to scheduling
evaluations before the process was even completed well known to Rych
long before the last board meeting, and I stand by that.

And my pointing out that Janet and Rick clearly had suggestions that
were either not considered or not included in the draft that was passed
is NOT an "imputation of nepotism." It is is an imputation that the
Board arbitrarily finalized a proposal prematurely, scheduled
evaluations prematurely, and did it before the committee completed its
work -- and, that it potentially affects Rick's evaluation!. Had it been
completed, suggestions for revision would not be coming in after the
fact. I consider both Janet and Rick to be honorable, thoughtful members
of the committee as well as KFCF as a whole and would never suggest
either of them would ever attempt to revise the evaluation form in order
to benefit either of their shows. Both of them are more honorable than
that, and I know it. I would hope that they would view any suggestion
that I feel otherwise as grossly incorrect.

 They are both members of the committee which, we were told, had
completed its work on the evaluation document. THAT is what I was
pointing out. Rick and Janet -- full committee members -- have
suggestions for inclusion in the evaluation, which I happen to agree are
of great value, that  should have been included in the draft which was
forwarded to the Board for approval. As I understand it, Rick's program
has already been scheduled for evaluation -- and under the final draft
that was already passed by the Board, HIS program would be one that
would NOT include those important recommendations in the evaluation
process. But if we want to make revisions to the approved document "as
we go," then Rick's show (as well as Street Heat and Valley Politics)
will ultimately be evaluated at a different standard than those that
come after ongoing revision. And they would not have an equal
opportunity to give input as those that come after, because those
questions are not included in the present evaluation document.

I would ask those first-round programmers if they think THAT is fair.

I have not attended meetings regularly, Stan, because I *resigned*
several months ago as I served on too many committees in addition to
making multiple trips to Berkeley every month and trying not to let any
of this interfere with my full time job. Rych was notified of that at
the time. In fact, I felt comfortable doing so *because* I know this  is
a hard-working,  thorough group.  I am concerned that the Board, by
rushing to approve a document that the committee's own members are still
making recommendations to does a disservice TO THE COMMITTEE.  And there
is no reason in the bylaws or for any other reason that Janet should not
be a voting member.  All members of the Foundation are permitted and in
fact are ENCOURAGED to join committees as voting members.

I'm not going to respond to other remarks which, in fact, I find
accusatory and recriminating towards myself and to Mark for daring to
raise valid questions, Stan. Perhaps we need to talk.

Best,
Debbie Speer